February 12th, 2024
The Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan (SLMYP) will help all Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) students develop the literacy skills they need to help them succeed in the classroom, and in life.
The WRDSB Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan (SLMYP)
The SLMYP will help to build capacity amongst educators and administrators across the WRDSB. Our aim is to help all students develop the necessary language and literacy skills for:
- Academic success
Supporting the Right to Read
The SLMYP builds on the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Right to Read Report. The report marked a significant milestone in deeming literacy as a fundamental human right. However, our work to provide the highest quality literacy education for students began before the release of this report. We have been and continue to work to overhaul our approach to teaching literacy, from Kindergarten to graduation.
Our ambitious journey continues, guided by:
- Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Right to Read Report
- Ministry of Education directives and curriculum
Learn more about how we’re Supporting the Right to Read.
Setting High Expectations for All Students
Recognizing literacy as a fundamental human right will empower all students to:
- Achieve their full potential
- Provide pathways for students to meet their graduation goals
The multi-year plan allows educators to build on students’ learning and experiences to:
- Develop foundational reading skills
- Progressively increase fluency
They support student learning by applying:
- Culturally Responsive and Relevant Pedagogy (CRRP)
- A tiered support model
Learn more about how we’re Setting High Expectations for All Students.
The SLMYP implements a tiered approach to supporting students. This aims to provide high quality literacy instruction for all, while also catering to diverse learning needs. This includes a focus on meeting the specific needs of:
- Multilingual Language Learner (MLL) Students
- Students with special education needs
Learn more about how we’re supporting Equitable Access.
Measuring, Monitoring and Reporting Progress
The Board Improvement and Equity Plan (BIEP) provides opportunities for us to measure the impact and effectiveness of the SLYMP in a transparent and public manner. We will ensure that families and caregivers have an understanding of the difference this work is making for their children. We look forward to reporting back on the progress we have made at the conclusion of our current 2023-24 BIEP at the end of the calendar year.
Learn more about how we’re Measuring, Monitoring and Reporting Progress.
Key Components of the Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan
The SLMYP is based on the Scarborough’s Reading Rope model. This approach involves different strands of literacy skills which are woven together to build comprehensive literacy skills.
As language comprehension is increasingly strategically introduced and word recognition increasingly becomes automatic, students will develop into skilled readers.
The 2023-2024 school year marks the second year of the SLMYP, with a focus on:
- Word Recognition
- Phonological awareness
- Sight recognition
Years 2 to 4 focuses on fluency, recognizing its connection with word recognition and reading comprehension.
Learn more about the Key Components of the Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan.
Supports for Educators
The SLMYP includes building the capacity of administrators and educators in:
- Structured literacy
- Implementing evidence-based reading practices
- Providing targeted professional learning
To help support staff in this professional growth, WRDSB is providing:
- Consultant supports
- Voluntary training on the use of a universal screening tool and diagnostic assessments
- Professional development and support to implement the revised:
- Language (Grades 1-8) Curriculum
- Grade 9 English Curriculum
- School-based supports to build capacity, including:
- Reading resource teachers (elementary)
- Literacy intervention specialists (Grades 7-8)
- Secondary itinerant literacy coaches
- Resource supports for additional self-directed educator learning
- Administrator learning series
Learn more about the Supports for Educators.
Learn More About the WRDSB Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan
Learn more about the Structured Literacy Multi-Year Plan.